Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Something

First blog since the sadness.
I don't think I want to talk about it in my usual stupid way.

But here's something: I'm going to start playing solo gigs next month. It's a pretty big deal for me, a terrifying one, but I'm at a time where I really feel it would be destructive not to do it, for a number of reasons, and every person I've told about it has thought it is a good idea.

I was kind of running on apprehension last night about the whole concept of playing by myself in front of other people, and I ended up writing this song about what I realized is the state of my life. Strangely enough, it's pretty much the first time i've ever done that. I usually end up writing songs in really abstract ways, but this one was pretty direct and personal and just fell out. Anyway, I'm really happy with it. I think I'll open with it at my first solo gig (:S).

Song the third

Those Weird Kids (In Primary School Who Cared About Things)

I believe in kids
who never called in sick,
making plans to fix the world.
Cuz I don't know 'bout you,
but I could go a few, so honey
tonight let's let the kids do the work.

Dancing on the table is not a wrong thing to do
near as I can tell from the queue;
lining up to take
the Normal Person claim,
putting down on paper why it should be you


I believe in luck
fucking people up
and the worst cases aren't here to get drunk.
So see these times as ships.
parting ocean lips.
Baby, we're among the rips

But swimming in the water is not a wrong thing to do
near as I can tell from the view;
standing on the shore
of how things were before,
rubbing myself raw and through


I believe in sweets
being good to eat.
There's this place down the street: it's cold.
Oh, please don't give me that "no" smile,
you can stay a while,
The kids have everything under control
The kids have everything under control.

3 comments:

Martin Kingsley said...

First verse, solid. Second...yep, that's solid, too. Ahh, fuck it. The internal rhyme and line length is great, I think this does all but sings itself. I wonder if 'aren't here to get drunk' might be changed to 'are', might give you a little more...I don't know...synchronicity with the patrons? Just a thought. Otherwise, I think this is beautiful, definitely the best thing that's gone up here and potentially a lady-slayer en masse.

Well done on booking your solo performance/s. I think it's a big step and a brave 'un, but surely the right one with material like this. Keep it up, killer.

Bailey said...

That's really very kind of you, Martin. :)
I'd be interested to see what you think of the finished product, music and all.

With the line about the worst cases, I was sort of trying to get at that the people who are really unlucky are either too crippled, isolated or dead to go out drinking. The ones in the bar are the medium cases, really. But it works both ways.

I'm glad you like it though. I find your taste in literature compatible .

Martin Kingsley said...

Hey, didn't see your reply. I gotcha now, it works just fine the way it is.

Just finished King's "Insomnia", and it's just as astonishingly good as I remembered it being. It's like a wonderful bridge between his normal stuff and the Dark Tower, with a little of the latter, but mostly just awesomeness all the way through. I will give you a lend when next we meet.