Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Explosions in the Sky

At least I assume there were - I was pretty well passed out by the time out-dated, unhip, good-for-nothing last year passed the baton to this brand spanking new shiny one full of promise. In a related note, I don't recommend centurions. They are good experience but not the kind worth revisiting. So for the first time in my life, I missed NYE; the classic romantic celebration of The Beginning, but also, of The End. You might say we are marrying 2008 - New Years Eve is our wedding, and as much celebrates the death of our vapid bachelorhood (2007) as it does the birth of our future. Anyway, I've never much cared for the said explosions in the sky, and so am happy to simply listen to the Texan guitarchitect quartet of the same name instead.

I don't care for sentimentality either, so I'll make this quick and painless: last year was the best of my life. People, places, experiences, all new and amazing. I finally feel like I am in motion, and am closer to happiness than I feel is really appropriate or comfortable.

There. Glad to be rid of that. Also, I am plagued with doubt and indecision and fear and rage and self-loathing and all such things, but they've had more than their fare share of screen time since 1989, so I'll be damned if I'm going to, at least for the time being, give them a minute more.

I hope that others I know and enjoy feel similarly about affairs at this, the turn of the New Year. If not, well we'd all better get crackin', because according to the Mayans, it's all over in four years. Big existential piss up in the park!

Hope to see you all there.

1 comment:

Martin Kingsley said...

Haha, I finally found it, ya bastard. Granted, I had to resort to searching for linkbacks to my own blog to do so, but still, here I am. In the process, I seem to have found all the other internet dens of iniquity that you inhabit, thereby robbing you of cyberspacian hidey-holes.

You should keep this up, old boy, it suits you!

Also, if for some reason you are unaware of the comment I left on tarbz, I thought your Stars review rather spiffy indeed. That is all. Move along, nothing to see here.